Thursday, February 19, 2009

Homeschool Fiction!

I'm working on typing up stuff for my school packet, and I need a brake. I've been working on this stuff all day. As a followup to my last post, I thought I'd post the list of homeschool books I compiled. I found most of these book from a page of Home School Online (http://www.homeschoolonline.org/2008/08/08/homeschool-literature/). I found a few by putting "home school" into my library search engine. Not surprisingly, a lot of the books I found are Christian and some are out of print--mainly the Christian ones. . . .

I've read only a couple of these books, and I marked those. Where possible, I listed as the subject what the book has to do with homeschooling, although homeschooling may not be the main plot of the story. Thanks for everyone's help!

Picture Book/Young Readers
  • Ratner, Susan Kandoo Kangaroo Hops into Homeschool subj. starting to homeschool
  • Stroud, Scott Baby Kong subj. troublesome child Christian
  • Stroud, Scott Grumpy Mr. Grady subj. grumpy neighbor Christian
Middle Grade
  • Bibee, John The Home School Detectives subj. mystery Christian
  • Bowe, Julie My Last Best Friend subj. secondary character was formerly homeschooled *I've read this one. It was a fun book. Homeschooling is mentioned in passing, and the formerly homeschooled character is a normal kid*
  • Campos, Jacqueline R. The Adventures of Lil' Wolf, Twinkie, Toes, and Flower Girl in the Homeschool Forest
  • Casanova, Mary Jess: American Girl Today subj. umbrella school type of homeschooling, homeschooling while traveling *I've read this one, and it was pretty good. Showed the fun things you can do that count as school*
  • Gantos, Jack What Would Joey Do? subj. sent to another family to be "homeschooled"
  • Gaiman, Neil The Graveyard Book subj. home educated by ghosts
  • Hannigan, Katherine Ida B. and her plans to maximize fun, avoid disaster, and (possibly) save the world subj. going to public school after homeschooling
  • Janney, Rebecca Price Secret of the Lost Colony and following books subj. children with a "homeschool" tutor time travel Christian
  • Korman, Gordon Schooled subj. going to public school after homeschooling *I've heard this is a very bad representation of homeschooling*
  • Law, Ingird Savvy subj. main character is about to be homeschooled because of special powers *this is a really good book and shows a close-knit family*
  • Lepkowski, Gwen Cross-Country Treasure Hunt subj. travel with family Christian
  • Lucas, Leanne Addie McCormick and the Computer Pirate subj. sent to a "co-operative homeschool" while her school is being rebuilt Christian
  • Morgan, Nicola Chicken Friend subj. starting to homeschool
  • Roop, Meg Summer Mystery subj. starting to homeschool
  • Selzer, Adam I Put A Spell On You subj. secondary character was formerly homeschooled
  • Tolan, Stephanie Surviving the Applewhites subj. sent to another family to be "homeschooled"
  • Milne Don & Aneladee The Lost Da Vincis subj. homeschool kids search for lost parents *this is self-published and the section I read wasn't very well written*
Young Adult
  • Davis, Bryan Dragons in Our Midst subj. starting to homeschool Christian
  • Juby, Susan Alice, I Think subj. going to public school
  • Spinelli, Jerry Stargirl subj. going to public school
  • Spinelli, Jerry Love, Stargirl subj. homeschooling again
Non-Fiction
  • Llewellyn, Grace, editor Real Lives: Eleven Teenagers Who Don't Go to School Tell Their Own Stories subj. what the title says
  • Lurie, Jon Allison's Story subj. an 8 year-old from Minnesota
  • Voetberg, Julie I Am a Home Schooler subj. an 8 year-old from a farm

I have checked out What Would Joey Do?, Ida B., and Surviving the Applewhites. I'll try to let you know what I think. Have fun, and let me know if you find anymore books with homeschoolers! Okay, procrastination over . . .

No comments: